Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The lampshade in crafting purgatory

Last year I got it into to my mind to re-decorate the living room. Part of that re-decorating dreams involved a tall standing lamp. But knowing that we will most probably return to Europe in the foresee-able future I decided that I didn't want to spend too much money on buying an electrical appliance that will probably not be used because of the schlep of converting the US voltage to European voltage.

A few weeks after I started the re-decorating process (which is still a work in progress....) I discovered American thrift-stores and with that came the hope that I would be able to find a poor, neglected wooden lamp stand that just needed my loving care to restore it to its former beauty. All fired-up I started to think of ways to create a lamp-shade for my stand (that I still had to find) and what would be more fitting for my shabby chic deco than a cozy cream crocheted lamp-shade? 

I bought a cheap lamp-shade as well as some super chunky cream-coloured wool that had an almost chenille-like feel to it.  I made enough chains to fit around the bottom part of the lamp shade. Then I started crocheting some sc's, decreasing a few stitches every row, just to keep it fitting snugly around the lamp shade.  When I had finished this I crocheted a shell border around the bottom and there she was - exactly as I had imagined it, except without a lamp stand!!!!



The poor lamp shade has been sitting in crafting purgatory for the past few months - eagerly awaiting that day when I will finally take it out of the finished crafts' cupboard and put it on top of its stand, but alas! Apparently people do not throw away tall standing lamps, neither do they throw out sturdy, solid wood coffee tables (but that is another sad story....!)

It would appear that the poor lamp shade will have to wait until we get back to Europe where I will buy it a proper lamp stand!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment